[Openstack] [Metering] schema and counter definitions

Loic Dachary loic at enovance.com
Tue May 1 15:48:53 UTC 2012

On 05/01/2012 04:38 PM, Nick Barcet wrote:
> On 05/01/2012 02:23 AM, Loic Dachary wrote:
>> On 04/30/2012 11:39 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>>>
>>> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 3:43 PM, Loic Dachary <loic at enovance.com
>>> <mailto:loic at enovance.com>> wrote:

>>>     I assume the events collected by the metering agents will all be
>>>     archived for auditing (or re-building the database)
>>>     http://wiki.openstack.org/EfficientMetering?action=diff&rev2=45&rev1=44
>>>     <http://wiki.openstack.org/EfficientMetering?action=diff&rev2=45&rev1=44>
>>>
>>>     Therefore the aggregation should occur when the database is
>>>     updated to account for a new event.
>>>
>>>     Does this make sense ? I may have misunderstood part of your question.
>>>

>>> I guess what I don't understand is why the aggregated data is written
>>> back to the metering database at all. If it's in the same database, it
>>> seems like it should be in a different "table" (or equivalent) so the
>>> original data is left alone.
>> In my view the events are not stored in a database, they are merely
>> appended to a log file. The database is built from the events with
>> aggregated data. I now understand that you (and Joshua Harlow) think
>> it's better to not aggregate the data and let the billing system do this
>> job.
> My intent when writing the blueprint was that each event would be
> recorded atomically in the database, as it is the only way to control
> that we have not missed any. Aggregation, should be done at the external
> API level if the request is to get the sum of a given counter.
>
> What I missed in the blueprint and seems to be appearing clearly now, is
> that an event need to be able to carry the "object-reference" for which
> it was collected, and this would seem highly necessary looking at the
> messages in this thread. A metering event would essentially be defined
> by (who, what, which) instead of a simple (who, what).  As a consequence
> we would need to extend the DB schema to add this [which/object
> reference], and make sure that we carry it as well when we will work on
> the message API format definition.
>
> How does this sound?
Hi,

I agree and I think it makes the blueprint simpler while addressing the concerned expressed in this thread. The database will have to store a lot more events and we will have to be careful to make sure it scales. I translated your suggestion in the blueprint:

http://wiki.openstack.org/EfficientMetering?action=diff&rev2=46&rev1=45

Feel free to fix the blueprint if I misrepresented it.

Cheers