[Openstack] Validation of floating IP opertaions in Essex codebase ?

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Wed Mar 28 22:49:41 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Vishvananda Ishaya
<vishvananda at gmail.com>wrote:

> So that explains where we are.  Here is the plan (as I understand) for the
> future:
>
> a) move the quantum plugin to the api layer
> (At this point we could move validation into the api if necessary.)
>
> b) define a more complete network api which includes all of the necessary
> features that are currently compute extensions
>
> c) make a client to talk to the api
>
> d) make compute talk through the client to the api instead of using rabbit
> messages

Agreed, this is what I've been thinking as well. Moving forward,
configuration of floating IPs would be done using the Quantum API. For
people who want to drive network config via Nova (e.g., using euca-api, or
using os-api extensions for backward compat), these calls would effectively
be proxied to Quantum.  If someone using the proxied APIs make a request
that results in an error, the Quantum API would generate an error, and the
proxy would essentially pass this error on to the user.

Dan Wendlandt
Nicira Networks: www.nicira.com
twitter: danwendlandt