[Openstack] Installion guide for OpenStack Essex on Ubuntu 12.04

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Mon Mar 26 18:04:48 UTC 2012

Great work, Martin! It really does show that an installation can be
completed for a proof of concept quite quickly.

I tested the entire guide, and found I couldn't change the hastexo password
in the keystone_data.sh even if I changed it in the keystone.conf file, not
sure why not. Your instructions are correct, it's just that small changes
are going to have cascading effects. Perhaps you could be more clear about
the re-use of the SERVICE_TOKEN="hastexo" being the same as the
ADMIN_PASSWORD (I changed one but not the other, not realizing the
"hastexo" string was in both places). It is what it is, not much a user can
do about it other than tread carefully.

You should also be more clear about editing the nova.conf file to replace
your 10.42.0.6 IP address with the IP address of the server the user is
installing upon in Step 5 [1]. You also need to restart the nova services
after editing the nova.conf file so that the MySQL config is picked up,
right?

As I mentioned in our IRC chatting, I'd like to see your guide brought into
the community docs site as a quick start, once the "substitute this python
file for that" parts are sorted out through the bug fixes and package
updates we'll hope get in 12.04 in time.

To my eye, it's similar to the CSS OSS Beginner's Guide, but much quicker
start to finish without explanatory text or object storage. So what I'd
like to suggest is that you propose this guide to be added to the OpenStack
docs - it'll help with maintenance and ongoing edits.

I can help you create a "quick start" guide with "Built for OpenStack" logo
and your logo (now available thanks to work from the docs tools team here
at Rackspace, you could be the first one to try it). This would mean
bringing the source into DocBook and the openstack-manuals github
repository. You can keep the CC-By-SA licensing for the document by going
this route, though I do want to hear what other doc contributors think of
this approach. In our conversations, you just said "CC-By-SA" - could you
be more specific about which license you want? We welcome Creative Commons
licensing but doc contributors do want to be able to contribute without
commercial implications.

Any docs-core members care to comment on bringing it in the
openstack-manuals repo if Martin is willing?

Thanks,
Anne

[1]
http://www.hastexo.com/resources/docs/installing-openstack-essex-4-ubuntu-1204-precise-pangolin/step-5-install-and-configur