[Openstack] Running code on instance start/terminate

Rogério Vinhal Nunes rogervn at dcc.ufmg.br
Mon Mar 26 14:15:03 UTC 2012

Hello,

I'm developing a application to work along with openstack. My application
needs to keep track of all instances being started or terminated such as
feeding it information about the location, status and other information
about launched and terminated instances. The current version makes timed
queries to OpenStack database, but this is showing to be a little consuming
and inefficient, so I would like to add a portion of code to make OpenStack
actively feed my application information whenever an instance changes its
status or location.

What is the least intrusive way to do that? It would be very nice if
OpenStack provided a way to run code on these situations without actually
changing any code, such as defining a directory of scripts to run in every
instance status change.