[Openstack] Caching strategies in Nova ...

Johannes Erdfelt johannes at erdfelt.com
Fri Mar 23 19:00:05 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012, Debo Dutta (dedutta) <dedutta at cisco.com> wrote:
> +1 to DBs being slow. But what if we used a combo of memcache and db. Or
> use couch/mongo.
>
> Comparision:
> http://kkovacs.eu/cassandra-vs-mongodb-vs-couchdb-vs-redis
>
> Anyone has experience on large deployments to see the kind of db traffic
> we need to optimize for?
>
> Another thing could be to avoid joins and then do sharding.

Seems like that's the opposite of what we want.

MySQL isn't exactly slow and Nova doesn't have particularly large
tables. It looks like the slowness is coming from the network and how
many queries are being made.

Avoiding joins would mean even more queries, which looks like it would
slow it down even further.

JE