[Openstack] Caching strategies in Nova ...

Joshua Harlow harlowja at yahoo-inc.com
Fri Mar 23 18:06:08 UTC 2012

+ 100

On 3/23/12 10:50 AM, "Brian Lamar" <brian.lamar at rackspace.com> wrote:

On Mar 23, 2012, at 11:22 AM, Kevin L. Mitchell wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-03-23 at 08:55 -0300, Sandy Walsh wrote:
>> I don't doubt for a second the db is the culprit for many of our woes.
>>
>> The thing I like about internal caching using established tools is
>> that
>> it works for db issues too without having to resort to custom tables.
>> SQL query optimization, I'm sure, will go equally far.
>
> For that matter, I wouldn't be surprised if there were things we could
> do to nova's DB to speed things up.  For instance, what if we supported
> non-SQL data stores?

Any database is going to be slow if you're talking to it more than necessary. Even if we replaced MySQL with the latest and greatest web-scale noSQL database out there we'd still be slow. I'd love to see a combination effort of improving the flexibility of the DB layer as well as improvements surrounding the sheer number of calls to the database.