[Openstack] [OpenStack] Xen Hypervisor

Alexandre Leites alex_tkd at live.com
Fri Mar 23 17:45:55 UTC 2012

Hi folks,

Sorry for late reply, i was trying to install this without following any ready-to-use scripts ( but i used one :( ) to understand how things are made. So i installed XCP 1.4.90 from DVD and configured it from installation screen.

Execute the following commands on dom0
------- Dom 0 Extra Config --------
cd /etc/xapi.d/plugins/
wget -q https://raw.github.com/openstack/nova/master/plugins/xenserver/xenapi/etc/xapi.d/plugins/xenhost
wget -q https://raw.github.com/openstack/nova/master/plugins/xenserver/xenapi/etc/xapi.d/plugins/xenstore.py
wget -q https://raw.github.com/openstack/nova/master/plugins/xenserver/xenapi/etc/xapi.d/plugins/pluginlib_nova.py
wget -q https://raw.github.com/openstack/nova/master/plugins/xenserver/xenapi/etc/xapi.d/plugins/migration
wget -q https://raw.github.com/openstack/nova/master/plugins/xenserver/xenapi/etc/xapi.d/plugins/glance
wget -q https://raw.github.com/openstack/nova/master/plugins/xenserver/xenapi/etc/xapi.d/plugins/agent
chmod 777 *
service xapi restart
-----------------------------------

After that i downloaded XenCenter and created a VM from Ubuntu Server 11.10 CD... (all from below is on guest)

After this, i did updated all the system with command apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y && apt-get dist-upgrade -y and rebooted the machine. When you do this, you'll boot on newer kernel (3.0.0-16-server, check with uname -a command)... and unsinstall the old kernel (apt-get purge linux-image-3.0.0-12-server).

After this, i did installed the virtual kernel (3.0.0-16-virtual) and rebooted the machine. Check if you rebooted in this kernel via uname -a and unsinstall the old kernel.

After this, execute on dom0 again:
------- Dom 0 Extra Config --------
cd ~
wget http://94.212.78.134/res/xenserver/makepv.sh
chmod +x makepv.sh
./makepv.sh YOUR-XEN-GUEST-NAME
-----------------------------------

After this, you can do
apt-get install -y cracklib-runtime curl wget ssh openssh-server tcpdump ethtool python-pip git vim-nox sudo
and
pip install xenapi
wget http://images.ansolabs.com/xen/xe-guest-utilities_5.6.100-651_amd64.deb -O xe-guest-utilities_5.6.100-651_amd64.deb
dpkg -i xe-guest-utilities_5.6.100-651_amd64.deb
update-rc.d -f xe-linux-distribution remove
update-rc.d xe-linux-distribution defaults

mkdir -p /usr/share/cracklib
echo a | cracklib-packer
pwconv

echo root:password | chpasswd

rm -f /etc/localtime
groupadd libvirtd
useradd stack -s /bin/bash -d /opt/stack -G libvirtd
echo stack:password | chpasswd
echo "stack ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL" >> etc/sudoers
mkdir -p /opt/stack
chown -R stack /opt/stack

After all this, you can install nova-compute , copy nova.conf from your controller and configure the following vars:
--connection_type=xenapi
--xenapi_connection_username=root
--xenapi_connection_password=password
--xenapi_connection_url=http://<<XENDOM0IP>>

and restart your nova-compute service.

You can test your XenAPI configuration using sudo nova-manage shell python and after pasting this
import XenAPI
import nova.virt.xenapi_conn
nova.virt.xenapi_conn.XenAPI = XenAPI
x = nova.virt.xenapi_conn.XenAPIConnection("http://<<XENDOM0IP>>","root","password")
x.list_instances()

------

After all this things, i got Xen working, but i have a error with bridge now, as trace below:

2012-03-23 16:30:00,116 DEBUG nova.virt.xenapi [-] Updating host stats from (pid=23556) update_status /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/nova/virt/xenapi_conn.py:488
2012-03-23 16:30:00,988 WARNING nova.virt.xenapi [-] Task [Async.host.call_plugin] OpaqueRef:d7a9f0df-0c7c-a760-6b76-3e985c747b1d status: failure    ['XENAPI_PLUGIN_FAILURE', 'host_data', 'KeyError', "'host_uuid'"]
2012-03-23 16:30:00,992 WARNING nova.compute.manager [-] Error during report_driver_status(): ['XENAPI_PLUGIN_FAILURE', 'host_data', 'KeyError', "'host_uuid'"]
2

And yes, my permissions are 777 to all plugins.