[Openstack] Being pedantic about pedanticism: HACKING styleguide

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Thu Mar 22 16:22:02 UTC 2012

     Just now I set out to merge a recent style guide change from
python-novaclient into the hacking docs of other OpenStack projects.  My
patch didn't apply, though, because each project has subtly diverging
HACKING files.

     Rather than contribute to this divergence, I've now read and
compared the style guides from Nova, Glance, Keystone,
python-keystoneclient, and python-novaclient.  From these diffs I've
created a file (attached) that encompasses the total of all guidelines
from all projects.  Remarkably, this merge produced only minor
disagreements, described below under the heading FLAMEBAIT.

     I propose that this unified style guide be copied into each of the
above projects, with a mandate to maintain consistency henceforth.  Any
objections?

-Andrew

FLAMEBAIT (docstring format):

The only explicit contradiction I came across is regarding docstring
formatting.  Glance says this:

**DO NOT** leave an extra newline before the closing triple-double-quote.

Nova, this:

   A docstring ends with an empty line before the closing quotations.

I propose that we just pick one or the other, or remove both prescriptions.

FLAMEBAIT (filename):

Some projects have a HACKING file, and some have a HACKING.rst file.
Doesn't .rst generally indicate a REST API definition?  I propose that
the file be called HACKING.