[Openstack] Please stop the devstack non-sense!

Thomas Goirand thomas at goirand.fr
Wed Mar 21 17:40:29 UTC 2012

On 03/21/2012 08:48 PM, Narayan Desai wrote:
> Ghe, while you're right that these two workloads are different,
> deployers need developers to use a representative environment during
> development, or the code doesn't work when it hits real deployments.
> We've now been bitten during our initial deployment of cactus, our
> upgrade to diablo, and our recent tests preparing for the essex upgrade
> because we can't run our management infrastructure on a single system.
>
> During cactus, we had issues when we tried to run multiple nova-network
> servers distinctly from the api service. IIRC during the diablo release,
> we had issues with keystone and horizon. This time, we had issues with
> glance/keystone integration. I'm not saying that things haven't
> improved, it just seems that each release has a new issue caused by the
> assumption that all services will be running on the same host.
>
> As we get more users with large deployments, these sorts of issues will
> only become a bigger deal, and will hinder large scale adoption.
>  -nld

With my Debian Developer hat on, I'd like to send a reminder ...

When Wheezy will be released, we'll have Essex in (if everything goes as
planned). Then when Wheezy +1 gets out, will will also need to allow an
upgrade path for Openstack (otherwise, it's considered an RC bug in
Debian). And I believe that Ubuntu will have the issue as well (since
2012.4 will be an LTS, right?).

I just hope that Openstacker will keep in mind how much of a commitment
it is to allow upgrade from release to release + 4 (or +5) in a project
like Openstack which goes so fast. :)

Cheers,

Thomas