[Openstack] Horizon OpenStack Dashboard RC1 on Ubuntu 12.04 B1 - can't get it working

Kevin Jackson kevin at linuxservices.co.uk
Wed Mar 21 11:24:00 UTC 2012

Dear all,
I could do with some help.
I raised the following bugs in Horizon, specifically to do with Ubuntu.

On a fresh install of Precise I do the following:

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
reboot
apt-get... nova, etc.
configure keystone etc
upload an image

all is good at this point

I then try and install OpenStack Dashboard:

apt-get update
apt-get install openstack-dashboard

I get the usual install of dependencies - see
http://paste.openstack.org/show/11649/
I don't do any configuration - but point my browser at this host.
I get a log in screen up, so I log in with an admin user I set up in
keystone

I then hit this bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openstack-dashboard/+bug/959262

You can see the code trying to make a directory /var/www/.novaclient.
 Given that Apache runs as www-data under Ubuntu  and that /var/www is
owned by root - this is that problem.  A secure fix is required here.
To overcome this I tried setting write permissions to www-data.  I then get
the first screen up, but on clicking on links takes me back to the log in
screen again saying I'm unauthorized for that URI.  I enter my details
again and then I get presented with the screen I asked for.
On clicking another link, I am taken back to the log in screen again.  This
is bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openstack-dashboard/+bug/960070

Tested on Chrome 17.0.963.79 and Firefox 11.0

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers,
Kev
--