[Openstack] Please stop the devstack non-sense!

David Kranz david.kranz at qrclab.com
Tue Mar 20 20:16:07 UTC 2012

This is, indeed, the crux of the matter. The release cycle, for both
diablo and essex, has been that all kinds of incompatible changes are
made right until
the end. During the critical month before release when we need as many
people ad possible to deploy and test real clusters, documentation is
not available. Devstack was a huge step forward in essex because it
allowed people who already understood the differences between single and
multi-node to understand and cope with the incompatible changes to the
components in a way that was known (mostly) to be working. I would guess
that for every person brave enough to publish their struggles on this
list, there are many more who do not. The only ways I know to deal with
this are:

1. More stability. Fewer incompatible changes. This will come over time.
2. Require blueprints, tagged as such, for every API and configuration
change. Maintain a highly visible list.

The other is longer release cycles with longer freeze periods but that
is not going to happen.

  -David