[Openstack] Please stop the devstack non-sense!

Joshua Harlow harlowja at yahoo-inc.com
Tue Mar 20 19:16:11 UTC 2012

Yours might make sense to be added on to devstackPY.

We have a concept of a persona (thanks! to dreamhost pep's) that might be what you want/use for this also:

Features:
Supports more than one distribution
   Currently RHEL 6.2 (with epel), Ubuntu 11.10 (12 WIP), Fedora 16 (WIP)
 Supports dry-run mode (to see what would happen)
 Supports varying installation personas (see conf/personas/devstack.sh.yaml)
 A single stack.ini file that shows configuration used/applied
 Supports install/uninstall/starting/stopping of OpenStack components.
   In various styles (daemonizing via forking, screen, upstart)
 Written in python so it matches the style of other OpenStack components.
 Extensively documented distribution specifics (see conf/distros/)
   Packages and pip (with versions known to work!) dependencies
   Any needed distribution specific actions (ie service names...)
 Follows standard software development practices (for everyones sanity).
    Functions, classes, objects and more (oh my!)
    Still readable by someone with limited python knowledge.
 The ability to be unit-tested!

-Josh