[Openstack] "nova zone" and "availability_zone"

Sandy Walsh sandy.walsh at RACKSPACE.COM
Tue Mar 20 11:06:41 UTC 2012

Availability Zone is an EC2 concept. Zones were a sharding scheme for Nova. Zones are being renamed to Cells to avoid further confusion. Availability Zones will remain the same.

Hope it helps!
-S

________________________________
From: openstack-bounces+sandy.walsh=rackspace.com at lists.launchpad.net [openstack-bounces+sandy.walsh=rackspace.com at lists.launchpad.net] on behalf of Nicolae Paladi [n.paladi at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:55 AM
To: openstack at lists.launchpad.net
Subject: [Openstack] "nova zone" and "availability_zone"

Hi all,

What is the difference between "nova zone(s)" and "availability_zone"?
In a new deployment, the *services* table in the nova db contains an "availability_zone"
column (which is 'nova', but default).

If that is not the same as "nova zones"  (which are logical deployments, as far as I understood), where is information
about zones stored?

The only documentation about "zones" in openstack that I could find is here:
http://nova.openstack.org/devref/zone.html

is there anything on availability zones?

Cheers,
/Nicolae.