[Openstack] Removal of VSA Code

Caitlin Bestler Caitlin.Bestler at nexenta.com
Thu Mar 15 19:25:11 UTC 2012

Ghe Rivero wrote:

Ø  I think is time (after essex release) to rethink the way plugins are integrated into "mainline code". This problem,
an outdated plugin, it's not new  (Hyper-V), and with the increasing numbers of them (storage like Zadara, Nexenta...
network with Nicira, BigSwitch, Citrix...) we need a policy to deal with this. From the vendor point of view, it's not
easy to follow the development release cycle that OpenStack has now days, with so many changes day after day.
Maybe plugins should be out of OpenStack code, and let vendors to publish them after the release.

The code that enables the plugin obviously needs to be part of the core code, but I agree that plugins are best packaged separately,
and optionally distributed separately.

A clean plugin has known dependencies on Python and the plug-in API itself. But if neither of those change, the implanter of a plug-in
should benefit from knowing that they don't have to track every release cycle of OpenStack.

The cloud does not need a monolithically compiled kernel.