[Openstack] Removal of VSA Code

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 01:54:03 UTC 2012

Apologies if you receive this email twice, I sent the first one from the wrong address.

Hello Everyone,

Last week during the release meeting it was mentioned that the VSA code is not working properly and we should either fix it or remove it.  I propose to remove it for the following reasons:

* Lack of documentation -- unclear how to create a vsa image or how the image should function
* Lack of support from vendors -- originally, the hope was other vendors would use the vsa code to create their own virtual storage arrays
* Lack of functional testing -- this is the main reason the code has bitrotted
* Lack of updates from original coders -- Zadara has mentioned a few times that they were going to update the code but it has not happened
* Eases Transition to separate volume project -- This lowers the surface area of the volume code and makes it easier to cleanly separate the volume service to compute

As far as I can tell Zadara is maintaining a fork of the code for their platform, so keeping the code in the public tree doesn't seem necessary.  I would be happy to see this code come back in Folsom if we get a stronger commitment to keep it up-to-date, documented, and maintained, and there is a reasonable location for it if the volume and compute code is separate.

If anyone disagrees, please respond ASAP.

Vish