[Openstack] OpenStack Installation Woes - Need re-assurance and help.

Kiall Mac Innes kiall at managedit.ie
Tue Mar 13 15:39:40 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Marton Kiss <marton.kiss at gmail.com> wrote:

> My experience that success depends on proper OS environment and
> openstack component configuration.

Yup - I've also found from #openstack that anytime anybody attempts method
A, then method B without a complete operating system re-install, things go
haywire.

Don't get me wrong, its more than possible to switch methods without a
re-install.. But people often expect "apt-get purge nova" to remove
everything, forgetting about packages like "python-nova".

Or, they run "python setup.py install" and forget to clear everything out
of /usr/local before attempting a package install..

I'm hoping with the 12.04 and Essex releases, non-developers needing to use
DevStack or git clones will be a thing of the past.. An unscientific
estimate of mine is, over 50% of the people asking for help on #openstack
are due to having multiple copies, and often versions of the components
installed. Usually caused by using mix of devstack, random git-clones, and
native package installs.

0.02c...

Kiall