[Openstack] Help on Quantum installation through DevStack (openvswitch error) !!

Piyanai Saowarattitada pns005 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 02:10:01 UTC 2012

Hi Hitesh,

> Setting up openvswitch-switch (1.2.0-1ubuntu3) ...
> FATAL: Module openvswitch_mod not found.
>  * Inserting openvswitch module
>  * not removing bridge module because bridges exist (br100 virbr0)

I interpret this as that the attempt to remove (Linux) "bridge" kernel
module was made, but it failed because there existed module
dependency, i.e. "br100" and "virbr0". Perhaps, "br100" and "virbr0"
were created using the Linux "bridge" kernel module rather than the
OpenVswitch (OVS) "brcompat_mod" kernel module.
Judging from the "FATAL" Module openvswitch_mod not found", my guess,
is that the system did not have OVS installed before invoking
DevStack.

Try removing br100 and virbr0 first and add them back once the OVS
installation is successfully done ?
You could use "brctl delbr"...

Note that I only use OVS for a few weeks, but this is my understanding...
OVS has its own bridge kernel module, "brcompat_mod" which could be
installed as part of OVS installation. To OVS users, "brcompat_mod"
kernel module performs what the default (Linux) "bridge" kernel module
does.  In order to install the "brcompat_mod" kernel module, the
default "bridge" module needs to be removed first. This implies that
any bridge created using the "bridge" kernel module, would need to be
deleted ("brctl delbr") before the "bridge" kernel module can be
removed. Once OVS is installed successfully, and both
"openvswitch_mod" and "brcompat_mod" are loaded into the kernel,  your
previously created bridges, br100 for example, can be recreated using
the "brcompat_mod" kernel module (transparently) via "ovs-vsctl" or
"brctl" shell commands.

Btw, I also found that the "brcompat_mod" does not automatically load
802.1q (VLAN) kernel module. Thus, if you plan to have a VLAN
interface on your bridge, you would have to load the "8021q" kernel
module manually after the "brcompat_mod" is loaded.

All of these kernel modules, "bridge", "openvswitch_mod",
"brcompat_mod" and "8021q" are dynamically loadable kernel modules
i.e. they can be loaded/unloaded at will using  "insmod" or
"modprobe"...

To install OVS manually, I use the "INSTALL.*" instruction files at
the top level directory in the OVS distribution tarball...
I also found both http://openvswitch.org/support/ - click the
hypervisor/scenario of choice, and the discussion archive at
http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/discuss/ helpful.

HTH,
Piyanai