[Openstack] eventlet and OpenStack external libraries

Johannes Erdfelt johannes at erdfelt.com
Mon Mar 12 20:18:47 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012, Yun Mao <yunmao at gmail.com> wrote:
> My understanding is that if the answer to question3 is yes, then the
> blocking call should be executed in tpool, although it's more likely
> to have bugs in that case.

Please be very careful with tpool. If the code being executed in the
tpool thread ends up using a lock that can contend with code executing
the main thread, you can end up with the tpool thread hanging.

In particular, using logging can trigger this hang. You would need to
audit the library to ensure it's safe to be used.

This is one of the reasons I'd prefer to see Openstack move away from
eventlet. It has a handful of problems that requires a high level of
diligence to avoid properly.

JE