[Openstack] Random libvirt hangs

David Kranz david.kranz at qrclab.com
Mon Mar 12 18:17:49 UTC 2012

In the spirit of Jay's message, we have a long-running cluster
(diablo/kvm) where about once every 3-4 weeks a user will complain that
she cannot connect to a vm. Examining the compute node shows that
libvirt-bin is hung. Sometimes restarting this process fixes the
problem. Sometimes it does not, but rebooting the compute node and then
the vm does. I just heard from people in my company operating another
cluster (essex/kvm) that they have also seen this. I filed a bug about a
month ago

https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/931540

Has any one been running a kvm cluster for a long time with real users
and never seen this issue?

  -David