[Openstack] Ubuntu 12.04 B1, Keystone (redux) + Service Catalogs

Kevin Jackson kevin at linuxservices.co.uk
Mon Mar 12 09:35:47 UTC 2012

Hi Dean,
This is true only if that particular command line option is used - so in
that case it makes sense,  but this issue arose because I (possibly
inadvertently, but as an admin setting up accounts and testing accounts
this is feasible so one would argue if this is an edge case) had
SERVICE_TOKEN set which meant that --username --password  were ignored: The
issue in this case is that if SERVICE_ENDPOINT and SERVICE_TOKEN is used,
it overrides anyone wanting to use --username --password, for example.

This make sense:

parser.add_argument('--token',
            default=env('SERVICE_TOKEN'),
            help='Defaults to env[SERVICE_TOKEN]')

        parser.add_argument('--endpoint',
            default=env('SERVICE_ENDPOINT'),
            help='Defaults to env[SERVICE_ENDPOINT]')

But not if I chose to use

        parser.add_argument('--username',
            default=env('OS_USERNAME'),
            help='Defaults to env[OS_USERNAME]')

it doesn't affect the user's journey path as it is only interested in a
valid token - not my options.
I can see a rationale for this - if you have a token already, then why
authenticate.  But because I specifically asked for authentication on the
command line by specifying a --username and --password it should use these
instead?

Regards,

Kev

--