[Openstack] Libvirt Snapshots

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Mar 9 16:51:08 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 10:43:35AM -0600, rbabu at hexagrid.com wrote:
> Even though it's more of a libvirt question since the topic of snapshot
> is being discussed, thought of asking it. Does libvirt 0.95 uses the
> backing file concept? or is that the same thing that Vish mentioned
> as option 1

The latest snapshot APIs in libvirt are broadly configurable by passing
in suitable XML. So if you want to take snapshots on the SAN, or using
LVM or backing files, they can all be made to fit in with libvirt's
new APIs. I'm not entirely familiar with how to use it, so if you want
fine details head over to the libvirt mailing lists where the authors
of the libvirt snapshot code will be able to assist.

Daniel