[Openstack] Libvirt Snapshots

Joshua Harlow harlowja at yahoo-inc.com
Fri Mar 9 03:53:11 UTC 2012

Hmmm,

I think that's a dangerous thing to say.
Openstack (imho) should be trying to work with as many distro versions as possible and not just the newest (and not just the newest ubuntu/debian).
Otherwise nobody will ever really be "using" openstack (or they will have to wait 1 year+ until that "new" distro it was made on becomes accepted as "standard").

I think its fine to target libvirt 9.5, but seeing that openstack is more than just 1 distro, it should really be something that is discussed and taken with more than a grain of salt (since pkg version bumps really do affect many, many consumers and integrators and distributions, as now they all need to figure out how to get that version working). So tread carefully here please :-) Especially with something as key as libvirt...

On 3/8/12 6:42 PM, "Alexey Eromenko" <al4321 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Pros:
> plays nicely with libvirt, so the vm is only paused for the minimum amount
> of time
> Cons:
> requires libvirt 9.5, which doesn't exist in oneiric

libvirt 9.5 requirement sounds acceptable.

Reason:
In general, Essex does not target 11.10-Oneiric, because Diablo is
part of Oneiric.

Essex is really designed to be fully integrated with newer platforms,
such as Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise" and Debian 7.0 "Wheezy", so those
are the targets. (not sure about other vendor's plans)

As for 11.10-Oneiric:
Essex was essentially back-ported to it, so a good solution would be
just extending the backport effort to include the newer libvirt, as
part of the OpenStack PPA for Oneiric.

--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"