[Openstack] Ubuntu 12.04 B1, Keystone (redux) + Service Catalogs

Adam Gandelman adamg at canonical.com
Thu Mar 8 19:09:33 UTC 2012

Hey Kevin-

Some stuff in-line

On 03/08/2012 06:08 AM, Kevin Jackson wrote:
> Dear all,
> I've just installed Ubuntu 12.04 B1 with OpenStack from the Ubuntu repos.
>
> I've set up keystone as per:
> https://github.com/uksysadmin/OpenStackInstaller/blob/essex/keystone-services.sh
> (which I based on the keystone.openstack.org
> <http://keystone.openstack.org> docs)

Thanks for the handy script!

> I have raised a bug under Keystone (though more than likely this could
> be a Ubuntu specific bug from this version), but reading on the
> mailing list, hints that others have gotten further perhaps.

Bug #?

> On setting up my environment vars (SERVICE_ENDPOINT, SERVICE_TOKEN)
> and trying --username and --password based auth to keystone I can view
> my endpoints, list users, roles, etc.

I think you're confusing the two sets of credentials.  Currently,
SERVICE_ENDPOINT + SERVICE_TOKEN are used to run admin commands against
keystone (user-list, endpoint-create, etc)  With these set, all commands
are run in admin context against the admin URL (ks_host:35357/v2.0/)
User-level commands (catalog, token-get, discover, etc) require regular
user credentials passed and auth_url set to the :5000/v2.0/ URL.  I
believe the SERVICE_ENDPOINT + SERVICE_TOKEN environment variables
override user-level credentials in keystone client, so if you're setting
both you'll be hitting the admin URL which does not support the
user-level stuff.

I used your script to bootstrap a fresh keystone and things worked as
expected as long as the two user environments are kept isolated.

HTH,
Adam