[Openstack] eventlet weirdness

Day, Phil philip.day at hp.com
Fri Mar 2 10:34:02 UTC 2012

In our experience (running clusters of several hundred nodes) the DB performance is not generally the significant factor, so making its calls non-blocking  gives only a very small increase in processing capacity and creates other side effects in terms of slowing all eventlets down as they wait for their turn to run.

That shouldn't really be surprising given that the Nova DB is pretty small and MySQL is a pretty good DB - throw reasonable hardware at the DB server and give it a bit of TLC from a DBA (remove deleted entries from the DB, add indexes where the slow query log tells you to, etc) and it shouldn't be the bottleneck in the system for performance or scalability.

We use the python driver and have experimented with allowing the eventlet code to make the db calls non-blocking (its not the default setting), and it works, but didn't give us any significant advantage.

For example in the API server (before we made it properly multi-threaded) with blocking db calls the server was essentially a serial processing queue - each request was fully processed before the next.  With non-blocking db calls we got a lot more apparent concurrencybut only at the expense of making all of the requests equally bad.

Consider a request takes 10 seconds, where after 5 seconds there is a call to the DB which takes 1 second, and three are started at the same time:

Blocking:
0 - Request 1 starts
10 - Request 1 completes, request 2 starts
20 - Request 2 completes, request 3 starts
30 - Request 3 competes
Request 1 completes in 10 seconds
Request 2 completes in 20 seconds
Request 3 completes in 30 seconds
Ave time: 20 sec

Non-blocking
0 - Request 1 Starts
5 - Request 1 gets to db call, request 2 starts
10 - Request 2 gets to db call, request 3 starts
15 - Request 3 gets to db call, request 1 resumes
19 - Request 1 completes, request 2 resumes
23 - Request 2 completes,  request 3 resumes
27 - Request 3 completes

Request 1 completes in 19 seconds  (+ 9 seconds)
Request 2 completes in 24 seconds (+ 4 seconds)
Request 3 completes in 27 seconds (- 3 seconds)
Ave time: 20 sec

So instead of worrying about making db calls non-blocking we've been working to make certain eventlets non-blocking - i.e. add sleep(0) calls to long running iteration loops - which IMO has a much bigger impact on the performance of the apparent latency of the system.

Phil