[Openstack] eventlet weirdness

Chris Behrens cbehrens at codestud.com
Thu Mar 1 21:28:48 UTC 2012

On Mar 1, 2012, at 12:27 PM, Adam Young wrote:

> On 03/01/2012 02:45 PM, Yun Mao wrote:
>> There are plenty eventlet discussion recently but I'll stick my
>> question to this thread, although it's pretty much a separate
>> question. :)
>>
>> How is MySQL access handled in eventlet? Presumably it's external C
>> library so it's not going to be monkey patched. Does that make every
>> db access call a blocking call? Thanks,
>
> Nope, it goes through a thread pool.

Actually, it doesn't use a thread pool right now...  so it does block, unless something has changed recently that I'm not aware of.  We were using the eventpool dbpool code, but we had to remove it at diablo release time due to issues.  Correct me if this is wrong.  I'm not sure it's ever been completely revisited, but this is definitely a huge issue for scaling.  It's been on my list for a while to take a look at.

- Chris