[Openstack] How do I stop image-create from using /tmp?

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at seas.harvard.edu
Sat Jun 30 04:04:37 UTC 2012

I'm running "nova image-create" for the first time, and on the compute
node I see:

  qemu-img convert -f qcow2 -O qcow2 -s 98a8efe9ec114b489eb163c64661441a
    /virt/pools/openstack_2/instance-00000011/disk
    /tmp/tmpH9KkUZ/98a8efe9ec114b489eb163c64661441a

I am concerned to see this operation dropping a disk image into /tmp.
What if the disk image is larger than the root filesystem?  Is there a
way to have OpenStack put these temporary images somewhere else?  I
would prefer instance_dir by default, instead of /tmp, because
instance_dir has already been provisioned with enough space to meet
the needs of disk images, but an explicit parameter would probably be
a better option.

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at seas.harvard.edu>       |
Senior Technologist                                | http://ac.seas.harvard.edu/