[Openstack] Performance metrics

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Fri Jun 29 21:35:59 UTC 2012

On 06/21/2012 02:21 PM, Rick Jones wrote:
> TSO and GRO can cover a multitude of path-length sins :)
>
> That is one of the reasons netperf does more than just bulk transfer :)
>   When I was/am measuring "scaling" of an SMP node I would use
> aggregate, burst-mode, single-byte netperf TCP_RR tests to maximize the
> packets per second while minimizing the actual bandwidth consumed.
>
> And if there is a concern about flows coming and going there is the
> TCP_CRR test which is like the TCP_RR test but each transaction is a
> freshly created and torn-down TCP connection.

It doesn't do TCP_CRR, and it is not geared towards the
scores/hundreds/thousands of isntances, but I've just put a script into
the netperf repository at netperf.org which will use novaclient.v1_1 to
launch three instances of a specified flavor and run the
runemomniaggdemo.sh script on one of them, targeting the other two.

http://www.netperf.org/svn/netperf2/trunk/doc/examples/netperf_by_flavor.py

Is it only my second bit of Python, so I'm sure it has lots of room for
improvement, but perhaps it will be of use to folks and help act as a
seed crystal.

happy benchmarking,

rick jones