[Openstack] RFC: Thoughts on improving OpenStack GIT commit practice/history

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Fri Jun 29 20:27:25 UTC 2012

> On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 03:24:21PM +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> It'd be really great if we could first improve Gerrit to handle the
>> patch series workflow in a better way. Without such a change, pushing
>> patch series to Gerrit is really no fun for anyone :/
>>

> Yep, no argument that Gerrit could do with some improvements, but having
> submitted a number of non-trivial patch series to Nova, I don't think
> current Gerrit UI is a complete blocker to adoption. It is not ideal,
> but it isn't too painful if you're aware of what to look for. I think
> the main problem is that since the patch dependancies are not obvious
> in the UI, reviewers tend to miss the fact that they're reviewing a
> patch that's part of a series.

I agree that patchsets are better than monolithic patches.  Today,
though, I am working on a 3-patch set and the process is driving me crazy.

a)  Any time Jenkins has a hiccup, I have to resubmit the entire
patchset.  This obscures any reviews or votes that might be attached to
other patches in the set.

b) Similarly, any time I change a single patch in the set, I have to
resubmit the whole set, which causes review history to be obscured, even
for those patches which have not changed at all.

Case b) would be entirely solved via a fix to  this:
http://code.google.com/p/gerrit/issues/detail?id=71.  That would also
help with a) but not resolve it entirely... the best solution to a)
would be a 'retrigger' button in Jenkins or a 'prompt Jenkins to
re-review' button in Gerrit.  The fact that people (including me) are
submitting trivial edits to patches only in order to nudge Jenkins is
pretty stupid.

-A