[Openstack] Bugs for Client libraries back to their own projects

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Jun 29 13:44:31 UTC 2012

Hello everyone,

Once upon a time, each OpenStack client library was independent and had
its own project in Launchpad. Then when Core projects came to rely on
them, we pulled them in as "official projects" but since we didn't want
to create "Core projects" for each of them, we considered them "separate
deliverables for the parent core project". When we released "Nova" we
would release two tarballs. This resulted in client library tarballs
following the same versioning as the parent (server-side) project, the
same download pages in Launchpad, and by extension, the same Bugs pages.

So we transfered client bugs from their project ("python-novaclient") to
the parent project ("Nova") and used a tag to identify them. And we
taught people to use that. But we couldn't get rid of the client
projects in Launchpad, because Launchpad likes to have a project to link
specific source packages to. Confusion ensued.

The PPB decided recently to create a new category of projects, separate
from Core, called the Library projects. Client libraries are no longer
forced to follow versions and milestones from the corresponding server
project. And they are no longer forced to live in someone else's
apartment... so we can revert back to using their own project for bugs
and end the confusion.

So unless someone explains why we shouldn't do it, next week I'll start
the process of migrating back all bugs tagged "python-*client" from
their "parent" project to their own project.

Cheers and sorry again for this historical confusion, which I certainly
played a role in creating.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack