[Openstack] Jenkins vs SmokeStack tests & Gerrit merge blockers

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Thu Jun 28 21:58:59 UTC 2012

On 06/28/2012 01:49 PM, Dan Prince wrote:

> [...]

I think it's stellar!

>> The tests that smokestack runs could all be written such that they
>> are run by jenkins.
>
> I actually put in quite a bit of work to maintain an openstack_vpc
> job on Jenkins post-Cactus. When we talked about gating on this job
> at the Diablo conference the idea didn't seem to get very far... I
> kind of saw that as the end of the line for maintaining an
> openstack_vpc job and eventually it went away. Not sure who deleted
> it, but anyway.
>
> The way I see it there is value in both testing systems. Rather than
> complaining about why one system exists and/or doesn't port its tests
> to the other.... why don't we build on each others strengths. Seeing
> a green "verified +1" from both Jenkins and SmokeStack on a review
> should be very encouraging... and if one of the two systems fails it
> might require further investigation.

I completely agree with that. I'm still hoping we'll see more systems
from more people so that the set of combinations get larger.

I think also there's clearly value in running tests, like how SmokeStack
is doing right now, that aren't necessarily part of the gate, but which
pro-actively provide useful information to the reviewers.

>> The repos that run the jenkins tests are all in git and managed by
>> openstack's gerrit. If there are testing profiles that it runs that
>> we as a community value and want to see part of the gate, anyone is
>> welcome to port them.
>>
>>> 3. Why did Jenkins not ensure that the tests were run on a
>>> libvirt enabled host ?
>>
>> This is a different, and slightly more complex. We run tests in
>> virtualenvs so that the process used to test the code can be
>> consistently duplicated by all of the developers in the project.
>> This is the reason that we no longer do ubuntu package creation as
>> part of the gate - turns out that's really hard for a developer
>> running on OSX to do locally on their laptop - and if Jenkins
>> reports an blocking error in a patch, we want a developer to be
>> able to reproduce the problem locally so that they can have a
>> chance at fixing it.
>
> The ability for developers to test things locally is very important.
> For that matter SmokeStack all started with a project called
> openstack_vpc, a project to spin up groups of cloud servers installed
> with the latest OpenStack code. A developer can use a project like
> openstack_vpc to spin up a set of servers in the cloud which builds
> and installs custom built packages for a set of Git URLs. So
> essentially the underpinnings of SmokeStack *can* all be done from a
> local machine just like they run from the UI.
>
> There is also value in testing things differently in ways which may
> not be easy for all developers to reproduce. Take XenServer for
> example... not every developer has access to a machine which can spin
> up a mini XenServer cloud. Is there value in running upstream tests
> on XenServer? I think so...
>
> What about running OpenStack with PostgreSQL and MySQL, Rabbit and
> Qpid? What I'm trying to do with SmokeStack is add value to our
> testing matrix so that some of the things we aren't automatically
> testing elsewhere get some coverage.

++

> Reproducability is important... but the way I see it if everyone
> always ran tests with exactly the same flags, or in the same
> environments we might not find some things.
>
> And where a developer can't reproduce something locally what I've
> done is give them direct access to a box running a SmokeStack job so
> they can troubleshoot it directly.

Yup. We've done this with devstack tests in jenkins too. Super helpful
for some of those weird times...