[Openstack] Nova and asynchronous instance launching

Doug Davis dug at us.ibm.com
Thu Jun 28 18:17:38 UTC 2012

Understood but I'd rather solve this more generically once instead of each
possible async op doing its own thing.  I like consistency  :-)

Note that I do distinguish between a 'real' async op (where you really
return little more than a 202) and one that returns a skeleton of the
resource being created - like instance.create() does now.

thanks
-Doug
(919) 254-6905  |  IBM 444-6905  |  dug at us.ibm.com

Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com>
Sent by: openstack-bounces+dug=us.ibm.com at lists.launchpad.net
06/28/2012 12:01 PM

openstack at lists.launchpad.net
cc

Subject
Re: [Openstack] Nova and asynchronous instance launching

On 06/27/2012 06:51 PM, Doug Davis wrote:
> Consider the creation of a "Job" type of entity that will be returned
> from the original call - probably a 202.  Then the client can check the
> Job to see how things are going.
> BTW - this pattern can be used for any async op, not just the launching
> of multiple instances since technically any op might be long-running (or
> queued) based on the current state of the system.

Note that much of the job of launching an instance is already
asynchronous -- the initial call to create an instance really just
creates an instance UUID and returns to the caller -- most of the actual
work to create the instance is then done via messaging calls and the
caller can continue to call for a status of her instance to check on it.
In this particular case, I believe Devin is referring to when you
indicate you want to spawn a whole bunch of instances and in that case,
things happen synchronously instead of asynchronously?

Devin, is that correct? If so, it seems like returning a packet
immediately that contains a list of the instance UUIDs that can be used
for checking status is the best option?

Or am I missing something here?
-jay