[Openstack] [Nova] How to improve our bug triaging ?

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Jun 28 09:32:04 UTC 2012

Vishvananda Ishaya wrote:
>> * Run BugTriage days more often ?
>> We could have regular (monthly?) Nova Bugtriage days to get rid of what
>> accumulated in the mean time. But I fear that urgent bugs might not get
>> the attention they deserve, and that over time less and less people
>> participate to those exciting events...
>
> +1

Just after F2 we'll run a Bug squashing day (more about that in a
separate email), where the focus is on closing as many bugs as possible.
We should encourage bug triaging to happen on that day too :)

>> * Should we just encourage more people to do BugTriaging ?
>> Sounds like the obvious solution. However to do good triaging, you need
>> bug supervisors rights, and when I proposed to open that team (the
>> nova-bugs team) to anyone, there was resistance. Maybe it makes sense
>> for Nova though... or maybe someone should actively manage that team and
>> grant rights to any known triager that needs them.
>
> Lets just open it up for now and approve everyone in the current queue

The team is now open, anyone familiar with Launchpad and Bug triaging[1]
is welcome to join at [2]. Let's triage all New/Undecided bugs now !

[1] http://wiki.openstack.org/BugTriage
[2] https://launchpad.net/~nova-bugs

> A formalized way for triagers to mark tough bugs for review by core would be great. Then a core duty of sifting through those bugs makes sense.

I'd recommend that we use tags for that. We already use tags to
categorize with area of expertise with Nova is actually required to
handle the bug[3], so Xen experts should look into "xenserver" tagged
bugs, etc. I guess that in addition to that, level-1 triagers could
require core developers to look into an incoming bug using a generic
tag... "level2" ? "expert-needed" ?

[3] http://wiki.openstack.org/BugTags

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)