[Openstack] [metering] integrating Quantum and Ceilometer

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Wed Jun 27 21:48:40 UTC 2012

Hi Doug,

Thanks for sending this out.  Pinging the ceilometer team about Quantum
support has been on my todo list for a while now.

Troy (CC'd) did some thinking about notifications for quantum, but we
haven't implemented this yet.  Here's the existing blueprint:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/quantum/+spec/quantum-notifications .  My
assumption is that we would model what Nova is doing for notifications, but
to be honest, I'm not really familiar with that code.  Anyone interested in
taking this blueprint on?

We do have an extension to support port-statistics to indicate the amount
of traffic sent to/from a VM that could be used by ceilometer, though that
would likely be more of a poll model, at least with the current
implementation.

Dan

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 3:16 PM, Doug Hellmann
<doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As part of the ceilometer project¹, we're working on retrieving usage
> data from various OpenStack components. We would like to integrate
> with Quantum for information about network resource utilization that a
> deployer might want to bill their tenants for.
>
> Ceilometer has a plugin-based architecture, which makes it easy to add
> new measurement types and data collectors. Our approach with other
> measurements is to collect everything and let the ceilometer user decide
> what to bill for and what to ignore (they can turn off measurements for
> things they do not care about).
>
> Depending on the project and the type of data, we can either
> use the notification events generated by allocating/deallocating
> a resource, or we can poll for metrics being collected elsewhere.
> We will probably want to use both approaches for integrating
> with Quantum (e.g., use events for things like IP allocation and
> polling for I/O).
>
> Do you have any advice on how to integrate Ceilometer and Quantum?
> For example, does Quantum emit notifications and does it collect
> (or provide an API to query) I/O statistics?
>
> Thanks,
> Doug
>

> ¹  http://launchpad.net/ceilometer

Dan Wendlandt