[Openstack] RFC: Thoughts on improving OpenStack GIT commit practice/history

Vincent Untz vuntz at suse.com
Wed Jun 27 13:24:21 UTC 2012

Hi,

As a recent contributor to OpenStack, but with experience in other
projects, I think moving in the directions you document would be good.
And as you wrote, it's common practice in many many projects, which is
another argument for this :-)

However, one comment:

Le mercredi 27 juin 2012, à 11:52 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange a écrit :
> It might be mentioned that Gerrit's handling of patch series is not entirely
> perfect. This is a not a valid reason to avoid creating patch series.

It'd be really great if we could first improve Gerrit to handle the
patch series workflow in a better way. Without such a change, pushing
patch series to Gerrit is really no fun for anyone :/

I've no idea if this is currently being worked on (at least, I don't
really se an issue reported in Gerrit's issue tracker). Maybe we should
sit down and at least document how we'd like to improve this specific
workflow?

Cheers,

Vincent

--