[Openstack] Nova doesn't release ips when terminating instances

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 18:18:24 UTC 2012

On Jun 26, 2012, at 9:55 AM, Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:

> It does not appear that ips are ever properly reclaimed.  They will
> hang around with allocated=0 and instance_id != NULL forever, until I
> manually correct the database.

I just turned off force_dhcp_release on my install and it appears to be working.

Do you see something like the following every sixty seconds in your network.log?

2012-06-26 17:52:38 DEBUG nova.manager [-] Running periodic task FlatDHCPManager._disassociate_stale_fixed_ips from (pid=20993) periodic_tasks /opt/stack/nova/nova/manager.py:164

fixed_ip_disassociate_timeout defaults to 600 so ips should be reclaimed after 10 minutes unless you have changed the value of that option.

Vish