[Openstack] [nova] RFC - filtering compute nodes in a mixed environment

Jim Fehlig jfehlig at suse.com
Mon Jun 25 22:36:07 UTC 2012

In a previous thread [1], I mentioned two possibilities for controlling
the scheduling of instances to an appropriate compute node in a mixed
node (Xen, KVM) environment.  The first approach uses availability
zones, the second uses the existing vm_mode image property.  Folks
seemed to agree on the latter, and the attached patch adds a check to
the compute filter to ensure the compute node can accommodate the
instance type.

The compute filter seems like the right place to add this check, but
posting as a RFC since I'm not sure if this would be agreeable to
everyone as compared to a custom filter for example.

Regards,
Jim

[1]
http://openstack.markmail.org/search/?q=improve%20xen#query:improve%20xen+page:1+mid:knmnylknf2imnruy+state:results