[Openstack] Nova doesn't release ips when terminating instances

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 23:19:07 UTC 2012

force_dhcp_release=true should cause the ip to be released immediately,
assuming the relevant optional binary from dnsmasq is installed (it is in
the package dnsmasq-utils in ubuntu). If it is set to false then the ips
should be reclaimed after a set timeout period (ten minutes by default) via
a periodic task in the network worker. If they are not being reclaimed
properly then there is definitely a bug somewhere, although I have not seen
this happening recently myself.