[Openstack] Diagnosing RPC timeouts when attaching volumes

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at seas.harvard.edu
Fri Jun 22 12:44:25 UTC 2012

> The timeout occurs when nova-compute is trying to do an rpc call to
> nova-volume.  It looks like this is just the compute log.  Do you have
> an error in the volume log?

There were no errors in the volume log.  It may have been a networking
problem caused by the local iptables firewall on the volume server
getting reset...but it's part of a larger issue we're struggling with,
which is that in general OpenStack makes it very hard to track down
errors along the RPC chain.

Thanks!

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at seas.harvard.edu>       |