[Openstack] Performance metrics

Narayan Desai narayan.desai at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 19:41:10 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Rick Jones <rick.jones2 at hp.com> wrote:
> On 06/20/2012 08:09 PM, Huang Zhiteng wrote:

>> By 'network scaling', do you mean the aggregated throughput
>> (bandwidth, packets/sec) of the entire cloud (or part of it)? I think
>> picking up 'netperf' as micro benchmark is just 1st step, there's more
>> work needs to be done.
>
> Indeed. A great deal more.
>

>> For OpenStack network, there's 'inter-cloud' and
>> 'cloud-to-external-world' throughput.  If we care about the
>> performance for end user, then reason numbers (for network scaling)
>> should be captured inside VM instances.  For example, spawn 1,000 VM
>> instances across cloud, then pair them to do 'netperf' tests in
>> order to measure 'inter-cloud' network throughput.
>

> That would certainly be an interesting test yes.

We did a bunch of similar tests to determine the overhead caused by
kvm and limitations of the nova network architecture. We found that
VMs themselves were able to consistently saturate the network link
available to the host system, whether it was 1GE or 10GE, with
relatively modern node and network hardware. With the default
VLANManager network setup, there isn't much you can do to scale your
outbound connectivity beyond the hardware you can reasonably drive
with a single node, but using multi-host nova-network, we were able to
run a bunch of nodes in parallel, scaling up our outbound bandwidth
linearly. We managed to get 10 nodes, with a single VM per node, each
running 4 TCP streams, up to 99 gigabits on a dedicated cross country
link. There was a bunch of tuning that we needed to do, but it wasn't
anything particularly outlandish compared with the tuning needed for
doing this with bare metal. We've been meaning to do a full writeup,
but haven't had time yet.
 -nld