[Openstack] HVM + Xen Hypervisor via libvirt possible?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Jun 21 16:37:56 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 12:17:11AM +0800, Huang Zhiteng wrote:
> Of course it is possible.  What kind of issue did you run into?
>
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 5:52 PM, Wang Li <foxban at gmail.com> wrote:
> > hi,all
> >
> > I need to run virtual machines on Xen Hypervisor in HVM mode,
> > is it possible when using libvirt?

Actually, this is not currently possible. For reasons I don't
know, the libvirt driver currently hardcodes use of paravirtualized
guests when connected to Xen hosts. It does not allow use of HVM
guests.  There's no particularly good technical reason why it can't
be made to work. There'd need to be a way to tag instance types
with HVM vs paravirt, in addition to their architecture. The
libvirt driver would have to expose whether each host supports
paravirt or HVM or both. The schedular would then have to take
this into account when placing guests.

Until this is done, if you really need to run HVM guests, then
you'll have to use KVM  instead of Xen.

Regards,
Daniel