[Openstack] [Swift][performance degradation] How many objects for PUT/GET in swift-bench is reasonable to you ? I got lots of failure after 50000

Kuo Hugo tonytkdk at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 16:28:33 UTC 2012

Hi Folks ,

I'm in progress of swift QA.

Also interesting about the number of PUT/GET operation in your swift-bench
configuration.

Well , I thought that swift should handle as much as I set in bench.conf.

However , the performance degradation came after 40000+

Does my configuration reasonable in your mind ?

[bench]
    auth = http://%swift_ip%:8082/auth/v1.0
    user = admin:admin
    key = admin
    concurrency = 100
    object_size = 4
    num_objects = 100000
    num_gets = 100000
    delete = yes

The  performance degradation of swift
       PUT result from 1200/s to 400/s
       GET result from 1800/s to 800/s (but failures around 400)
       DELETE result from 800/s to 300/s (lots of failures)

1. Does my configuration is reasonable in reality ?

2. I saw that most of failures is been log as "object-server failled to
connect to %storage_ip%:%port&/%device% ... connection timeout(0.5)"
    What's the reason cause the kind of timeout? Also the loading is very
low at this period and almost 0 request send to storage-nodes.

3. Another odd behavior , swift proxy does not consistent send requests to
storage-nodes . In my 100000 PUT period. The storage-node's loading is
not balanced
.
    It might in 70% loading and 10% in next second.  Seems is a
periodically behavior.
    I'm really confusing about this issue.

--
+Hugo Kuo+