[Openstack] [Nova] How to improve our bug triaging ?

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Thu Jun 21 14:58:42 UTC 2012

Hey,

On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 16:29 +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
[..]
> Having people report bugs for our software is a chance, and we should
> not discourage anyone by not giving the resulting reports the minimal
> attention they deserve.
[..]

Totally!

> So how do we, Nova developers, collectively solve this over the long run
> ? Suggestions include:
>
> * Run BugTriage days more often ?
> We could have regular (monthly?) Nova Bugtriage days to get rid of what
> accumulated in the mean time. But I fear that urgent bugs might not get
> the attention they deserve, and that over time less and less people
> participate to those exciting events...

It's worth trying this, I think.

> * Add BugTriaging to the core dev duties (new ReviewDays task) ?
> May be a good idea since core devs are also Nova bug supervisors, so
> they actually /can/ triage bugs. However it sounds a bit unfair to core
> devs, and I fear it would result in Nova reviews getting even less
> attention than they get currently...

Yeah, exactly - the ReviewDays thing probably doesn't result in a
massive amount of time spent doing reviews every day and we need more,
so I'd worry about BugTriaging diluting that.

> * Should we just encourage more people to do BugTriaging ?
> Sounds like the obvious solution. However to do good triaging, you need
> bug supervisors rights, and when I proposed to open that team (the
> nova-bugs team) to anyone, there was resistance. Maybe it makes sense
> for Nova though... or maybe someone should actively manage that team and
> grant rights to any known triager that needs them.

Yes, I think we should encourage more. And I think you've done an
awesome job documenting what's involved with triaging.

What I'd love to see is a closer collaboration between regular bug
triagers and nova-core members.

i.e. bug triagers doing the best they can but roping in willing
nova-core members to help out deciphering the more gnarly bugs.
Personally, I'd really appreciate people helping me figure out which
bugs I can best help with.

Cheers,
Mark.