[Openstack] [metering] Cinder usage data retrieval

Thomas, Duncan duncan.thomas at hp.com
Thu Jun 21 10:44:31 UTC 2012

John Griffith on 20 June 2012 18:26 wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Nick Barcet
> <nick.barcet at canonical.com> wrote:
> > What we want is to retrieve the maximum amount of data, so we can
> meter
> > things, to bill them in the end. For now and for Cinder, this would
> > first include (per user/tenant):
> > - the amount of reserved volume space
> > - the amount of used volume space
> > - the number of volumes
> > but we'll need probably more in a near future.

> We should chat about how things are shaping up so far and how you're
> implementing things on the other sides (consistency where
> practical/possible).  Also, it sort of depends on the architecture and
> use model details of Ceilometer, which I hate to admit but I'm not
> really up to speed on.
>
> My first reaction/thought is the best most appropriate place to tie in
> is via the python-cinderclient.  There would be a number of ways to
> obtain some of this info, whether deriving it or maybe some extensions
> to obtain things directly.

One thing to watch for here is access control... Don't want one tenant
able to find out about another's usage. Probably not important on a private
cloud deployment, but certainly important in the public cloud space. Having
a separate endpoint to do this kind of admin stuff over also means you can
have much tighter IP level access controls...

--
Duncan Thomas
HP Cloud Services, Galway