[Openstack] Performance metrics

Huang Zhiteng winston.d at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 03:09:20 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 12:36 AM, Rick Jones <rick.jones2 at hp.com> wrote:
> I do not have numbers I can share, but do have an interest in discussing
> methodology for evaluating "scaling"  particularly as regards to
> "networking."  My initial thoughts are simply starting with what I have done
> for "network scaling"  on SMP systems (as vaguely instantiated in the likes
> of the runemomniaggdemo.sh script under
> http://www.netperf.org/svn/netperf2/trunk/doc/examples/ ) though expanding
> it by adding more and more VMs/hypervisors etc as one goes.

By 'network scaling', do you mean the aggregated throughput
(bandwidth, packets/sec) of the entire cloud (or part of it)? I think
picking up 'netperf' as micro benchmark is just 1st step, there's more
work needs to be done.  For OpenStack network, there's 'inter-cloud'
and 'cloud-to-external-world' throughput.  If we care about the
performance for end user, then reason numbers (for network scaling)
should be captured inside VM instances.  For example, spawn 1,000 VM
instances across cloud, then pair them to do 'netperf' tests in order
to measure 'inter-cloud' network throughput.

--
Regards
Huang Zhiteng