[Openstack] When are hostnames okay and when are ip addresses required?

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at seas.harvard.edu
Thu Jun 21 02:15:52 UTC 2012

I ran into an issue earlier today where I had metadata_host set to the
*hostname* of our controller.  This got stuffed into an iptables rule
as...

  -d os-controller.int.seas.harvard.edu/32

...which promptly failed.  Setting this to an ip address fixed this
particular error, leading me to wonder:

- Is this expected behavior?
- Should I always use ip addresses for *_host values?
- Is this a bug?
- Should linux_net.py resolve hostnames?

Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at seas.harvard.edu>       |
Senior Technologist                                | http://ac.seas.harvard.edu/
Academic Computing                                 | http://code.seas.harvard.edu/
Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences |