[Openstack] Deleting a volume stuck in "attaching" state?

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 17:16:48 UTC 2012

On 06/20/2012 11:52 AM, Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:
>> A strategy we are making in Nova (WIP) is to allow instance
>> termination no matter what. Perhaps a similar strategy could be
>> adopted for volumes too? Thanks,
>
> The 'nova-manage volume delete ...' solution worked just fine in this
> case...but in general, as a consumer of the software, we would really
> prefer to be able to delete things regardless of their state using
> established tools, rather than manipulating the database directly.
> I'm always worried that I'll screw something up due to my incomplete
> understanding of the database schema.

Agreed. I think that the DELETE API calls should support a "force"
parameter that would stop any pending operation, cleanup any mess, and
delete the resource.

The fact that nova-manage volume delete works is really just because the
nova-manage tool talks directly to the database, and I know that Vish
and others are keen to have all tools speak only the REST APIs and not
any backdoor interfaces or database queries directly...

Best,
-jay