[Openstack] [devstack] Easing maintenance of list of distro packages to install

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 13:17:07 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 5:06 AM, Vincent Untz <vuntz at suse.com> wrote:
>  - this leads to incomplete updates for dependencies. It happens that
>   someone updates the apts files but not the rpms ones. (shameless

This is going to always be a problem, independent of the mechanism
used to manage package lists.  The simple fact is that we really only
develop DevStack on Ubuntu, anything else is a second-class citizen by
definition. I do test Fedora periodically, but as of this point those
are the only two distros we have committed to support, and Fedora
still lags (try running stack.sh on f17 sometime).

>  - this just doesn't scale when adding support for another distro,
>   especially as rpm-based distros don't all share the same package
>   names (hence files/rpms/ cannot really be shared).

The directory names could easily be anything else, it was originally
meant to distinguish packages (apts) vs pips.

> I already have some working code for that, but I want to check if people
> are fine with the idea before submitting it for review.

We have had other package dependency schemes proposed in the past, in
the end the issue isn't the mechanism but the support.  As it is the
Fedora lists still often lag unless I can catch a review and prompt
the author to add the required entry in the rpms directory

Support aside, anything that we might adopt will necessarily be kept
simple, such as changing the packaging names (apts/rpms) to packager
names (ubuntu,fedora,etc).

dt

--

Dean Troyer