[Openstack] Deleting a volume stuck in "attaching" state?

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at seas.harvard.edu
Wed Jun 20 01:40:16 UTC 2012

I attempted to attach a volume to a running instance, but later
deleted the instance, leaving the volume stuck in the "attaching"
state:

  # nova volume-list
  +----+-----------+--------------+------+-------------+-------------+
  | ID |   Status  | Display Name | Size | Volume Type | Attached to |
  +----+-----------+--------------+------+-------------+-------------+
  | 9  | attaching | None         | 1    | None        |             |
  +----+-----------+--------------+------+-------------+-------------+

It doesn't appear to be possible to delete this with "nova
volume-delete":

  # nova volume-delete
   nova volume-delete 9
   ERROR: Invalid volume: Volume status must be available or error (HTTP 400)

Other than directly editing the database (and I've had to do that an
awful lot already), how do I recover from this situation?

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at seas.harvard.edu>       |
Senior Technologist                                | http://ac.seas.harvard.edu/