[Openstack] Multiple nova-compute hosts, single-host nova-network, and a guest unreachable via its floating IP

Sébastien Han han.sebastien at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 19:01:52 UTC 2012

Hi Florian,

For my own setup, I wanted to achieve highly-available network, and avoid
the loss of the gateway of every instances running if nova-network falls
down. I couldn't afford 2 dedicated nodes to put nova-network itself in an
highly available state. Now if I loose a nova-network on a compute node,
all my instances running on this compute node will loose their gateway but
this scenario is better than loosing all my VMs. The multi_host was the
best option and I think it's applicable to every setup. So precisely, every
compute node hosts those services:

   - nova-compute
   - nova-network - avoid networking SPOF
   - nova-api-metadata - you don't need the entire nova-api service. Each
   new instance only needs to reach the metadata. Running this from the
   compute node can also improve performance with the cloud-init service.

Of course this setup works with the multi_host parameter enable.

My 2 cts contribution ;)