[Openstack] glance_api_servers vs. glance_host vs. keystone?

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at seas.harvard.edu
Fri Jun 15 20:17:25 UTC 2012

Howdy all,

I've spent the past few days slogging through the initial steps of
getting OpenStack and running and I seem to have hit a wall.  If this
isn't the right list for this question, please feel free to direct me
elsewhere.

I have two systems running the OpenStack components right now.  The
"controller" runs nova-api, nova-volume, nova-objectstore, glance, and
keystone.  The "compute host" runs nova-compute.  All of the parts seemt to
talk to each other successfully.  For example, I can run 'nova
image-list' on either system and get a list of available images:

# nova image-list
+--------------------------------------+------------+--------+--------+
|                  ID                  |    Name    | Status | Server |
+--------------------------------------+------------+--------+--------+
| 383bbfab-01db-4089-a8fd-1a2735040af5 | DSL 4.4.10 | ACTIVE |        |
+--------------------------------------+------------+--------+--------+

When I try to deploy a new guest using the 'nova boot' command:

# nova boot --flavor m1.small  --image 383bbfab-01db-4089-a8fd-1a2735040af5 lars0

The guest ends up permanently stuck in the BUILD state:

# nova list
+--------------------------------------+-------+--------+----------+
|                  ID                  |  Name | Status | Networks |
+--------------------------------------+-------+--------+----------+
| 06b343e6-bc6b-4e0b-baed-cda55cb85695 | lars0 | BUILD  |          |
+--------------------------------------+-------+--------+----------+

This is a surprisingly permanently condition.  The server will never move out
of the BUILD state, and it's not possible to delete this using
'nova delete', either.

Looking at /var/log/nova/compute.log on the compute host, I don't see anything
specific.  I do see this:

ERROR nova.rpc.impl_qpid [-] Timed out waiting for RPC response: None
TRACE nova.rpc.impl_qpid Traceback (most recent call last):
TRACE nova.rpc.impl_qpid   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/nova/rpc/impl_qpid.py", line 359, in ensure
TRACE nova.rpc.impl_qpid     return method(*args, **kwargs)
TRACE nova.rpc.impl_qpid   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/nova/rpc/impl_qpid.py", line 408, in _consume
TRACE nova.rpc.impl_qpid     nxt_receiver = self.session.next_receiver(timeout=timeout)
TRACE nova.rpc.impl_qpid   File "<string>", line 6, in next_receiver
TRACE nova.rpc.impl_qpid   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/qpid/messaging/endpoints.py", line 651, in next_receiver
TRACE nova.rpc.impl_qpid     raise Empty
TRACE nova.rpc.impl_qpid Empty: None

On the controller, I'm seeing a lot of this in /var/log/nova/api.log:

DEBUG nova.api.openstack.wsgi [req-5e4dc971-cb14-469a-9239-080a8c551b65
  22bb8e502d3944ad953e72fc77879c2f 76e2726cacca4be0bde6d8840f88c136] Unrecognized
  Content-Type provided in request from (pid=1044) get_body
  /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/nova/api/openstack/wsgi.py:697

None of the command-line tools are producing any kind of visible
error.  I'm not really sure where I should be looking for problems at
this point.

Following is TMI:

I'm running the Essex release under CentOS 6.2:

# rpm -qa 'openstack*'
openstack-utils-2012.1-1.el6.noarch
openstack-glance-2012.1-5.el6.noarch
openstack-dashboard-2012.1-4.el6.noarch
openstack-quantum-2012.1-5.el6.noarch
openstack-nova-2012.1-11.el6.noarch
openstack-keystone-2012.1-3.el6.noarch
openstack-swift-1.4.8-2.el6.noarch
openstack-quantum-linuxbridge-2012.1-5.el6.noarch

And the available endpoints are:

+-------------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|     nova    |                                       Value                                        |
+-------------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| adminURL    | http://os-controller.int.seas.harvard.edu:8774/v2/76e2726cacca4be0bde6d8840f88c136 |
| internalURL | http://os-controller.int.seas.harvard.edu:8774/v2/76e2726cacca4be0bde6d8840f88c136 |
| publicURL   | http://os-controller.int.seas.harvard.edu:8774/v2/76e2726cacca4be0bde6d8840f88c136 |
| region      | SEAS                                                                               |
| serviceName | nova                                                                               |
+-------------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
+-------------+---------------------------------------------------+
|    glance   |                       Value                       |
+-------------+---------------------------------------------------+
| adminURL    | http://os-controller.int.seas.harvard.edu:9292/v1 |
| internalURL | http://os-controller.int.seas.harvard.edu:9292/v1 |
| publicURL   | http://os-controller.int.seas.harvard.edu:9292/v1 |
| region      | SEAS                                              |
+-------------+---------------------------------------------------+
+-------------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|    volume   |                                       Value                                        |
+-------------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| adminURL    | http://os-controller.int.seas.harvard.edu:8776/v1/76e2726cacca4be0bde6d8840f88c136 |
| internalURL | http://os-controller.int.seas.harvard.edu:8776/v1/76e2726cacca4be0bde6d8840f88c136 |
| publicURL   | http://os-controller.int.seas.harvard.edu:8776/v1/76e2726cacca4be0bde6d8840f88c136 |
| region      | SEAS                                                                               |
+-------------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
+-------------+---------------------------------------------------------------+
|     ec2     |                             Value                             |
+-------------+---------------------------------------------------------------+
| adminURL    | http://os-controller.int.seas.harvard.edu:8773/services/Admin |
| internalURL | http://os-controller.int.seas.harvard.edu:8773/services/Cloud |
| publicURL   | http://os-controller.int.seas.harvard.edu:8773/services/Cloud |
| region      | SEAS                                                          |
+-------------+---------------------------------------------------------------+
+-------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|    swift    |                                          Value                                          |
+-------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| adminURL    | http://os-controller.int.seas.harvard.edu:8888/                                         |
| internalURL | http://os-controller.int.seas.harvard.edu:8888/v1/AUTH_76e2726cacca4be0bde6d8840f88c136 |
| publicURL   | http://os-controller.int.seas.harvard.edu:8888/v1/AUTH_76e2726cacca4be0bde6d8840f88c136 |
| region      | SEAS                                                                                    |
+-------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
+-------------+-------------------------------------------------------+
|   keystone  |                         Value                         |
| adminURL    | http://os-controller.int.seas.harvard.edu:35357/v2.0/ |
| internalURL | http://os-controller.int.seas.harvard.edu:5000/v2.0/  |
| publicURL   | http://os-controller.int.seas.harvard.edu:5000/v2.0/  |
| region      | SEAS                                                  |

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at seas.harvard.edu>       |
Senior Technologist                                | http://ac.seas.harvard.edu/